Monday, March 26, 2012

One Night to Remember by Kristin Miller

One Night to RememberBeing a Titanic nutty person, when I saw this pop up on a friend's feed, I had to have it and read it myself. Woman "Robin Hood" of sorts, Titanic, Romance..."

There were things to like and things not to like.

Liked: Even though I've read this story (the sinking) so many times, I still got goosebumps reading those parts. Especially as the dude passed by a couple counting to three, prepared to jump into the frigid water below. I don't think there's any way to write a Titanic book without rehashing what we already know. It's such a talked about and marketed subject. Also was surprised by a twist at the end involving one of the heroine's robbed victims.

Didn't Like: The love story. I found it preposterous that a woman in 1912 would be so inhibited as to sleep with a man right after meeting him... It's that immediate. He catches her stealing a purse and some silverware and chases her, puts her in handcuffs, questions her in his stateroom, and they have sex?? Not buying it. Nor do I fall for immediate feelings of love.

I would have gave this a different ending. It was too predictable. Every single Titanic book, in order to have a HEA without making the hero a numbskull jerk that pushes women and children off the lifeboats to make room for himself, has the hero on the very last, submerged, overturned life raft. Now, THIS is done to death. Man ends up trying help, ends in the water himself, is placed upon the last chance boat... Just once, someone needs to kill the man off. Hey, fiction should imitate life and most of the Titanic stories weren't HEA. More of those women lost their men...

Well written, properly edited, an engaging read, but I didn't buy into the love story, and the ending is overdone. Three bikes. I bought this on Amazon Kindle.

"They were all the same. Everyone was in need at some point in their life. It was only a matter of when."


No comments:

Post a Comment