Thursday, June 14, 2012

Ride A Cock Horse by Gayl Taylor

Ride A Cock Horse (Naughty Nursery Rhymes)
Ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross to see a fine lady upon a white horse,
Rings on her fingers and bells on her toes,
And she shall have music wherever she goes.

I've heard a lot about these Naughty Nursery Rhymes. Submissions calls are up everywhere for them. I've been utterly blank. What am I going to do? Have Red Riding Hood diddle a wolf? I suppose it could be a shapeshifting wolf, but still...

And this is the first one I've read. I am so impressed. How can someone take that nursery rhyme above and write a story of love, second chances, white horses (and mustangs), bells, and music, and wrap it up in an entertaining contemporary romance novelette?

The answer: Gayl Taylor

And she has a way with words. Knowing this was a first time book, I was blown away by her descriptions. The sex scenes were HOT too, not the writing of a newbie, scared to open the door author.

Hunter is the hero, back Banbury Cross after having battled drugs and booze addiction. He wants his woman back, but Kate has her reservations. At first, it all seems like it is falling into place. Readers will be wondering, "where is the conflict?" It's there.  After Kate's cryptic and alarming phone conversation the morning after, I was literally on the edge of my seat, wondering, "Oh, no. WTF?"

It had some LOL moments, too, references to riding and a funny moment in the stables.

Romance? Check. Hot sex? Check. Humor. Check. Great descriptions aka not too much, not too little. Check.

Five bikes. And no, this was not a book I edited, but a book I picked up solely for reading pleasure whilst on the elliptical.




No comments:

Post a Comment