Tuesday, October 23, 2012

How To Tame A Willful Wife by Christy English

How to Tame a Willful WifeNot a bad novel. I didn't love it, won't read it again, and I'll divulge my reasons, but for those seeking a fun historical romp with a ton of sex, this would be your cup of tea.


It's a "retelling" of sorts of the Taming of the Shrew. There's even a funny moment when the play itself is mentioned.

Caroline is "sold" to the most worthy bidder for her lovely hand. She marries Anthony and gives him heirs and he pays off her family's debts. But in the process, he wishes to tame her. If he has his way, the girl who rides astride wearing breeches and throws knives in the house will be no more.

At first I found her amusing and cute. She does stand up to him...but from the moment he first beds her, she becomes...eh, not that strong. In actuality, the worst rebellion she does is continue playing with knives behind her husband's back. Their whole marriage, the conflict they face, the plot, is really just a lack of communication.

The story began to grow repetitive for me after a while. He struts and says, "You are mine. Obey me!" She makes a remark back. They have sex. She gasps beneath him. He leaves. She plays with knives. He comes back. "You are mine. Obey me!" She makes a remark back. They have more sex. She gasps beneath  him. He leaves. She plays with knives...

They never really talk, just have lots of sex or have a brief power struggle. Until the end when finally, the misunderstanding/lack of communication is revealed.

I was expecting more humor in this, so I'm somewhat disappointed, but I believe people looking for a lot of sex and a mega alpha male will love it. Personally, I hate alpha males, especially ones that don't change enough in the end. And I thought him really stupid. Whereas I got he had to be a jerk to go with the theme here, forbidding your wife to play with knives AFTER she fends off an attacker with one is just....dumb. I never grew to like the guy.

Three bikes. I got this from netgalley.




No comments:

Post a Comment