Friday, November 9, 2012

Morrigan by Laura DeLuca

I've never read fantasy before. Never had any interest, so it was with much trepidation I began to read this...and I was immediately sucked into another land, deeply engrossed and involved in this tale.


It starts in the modern world. You have a teenage girl in school, seeing a strange man outside her classroom window... she has these two cats...she's been going foster home to foster home and is about to get a shock discovery about who her parents were.

One of them was a witch...but the evil witch or the good witch? There's two of them. Which one is her mother?


The strange dark knight takes her to another kingdom. Her house cats become giant cats/Guardians. Her knight is a werewolf that can change as he pleases, but mostly for his own reasons, chooses not to. There's a renaissance village that fears her. Why? Morrigan doesn't know and no one is giving her straight answers.


There are faeries with enchanting kisses and fruit that promises immortality...


And this all wraps up in an incredible battle of wind, fire, water, and earth. I am blown away by how the author handled all four elements in an incredible scene that literally had me on the edge of my seat. And the ending...holy smokes!!! Wonderful ending. Is there a sequel?


I think this is a YA, but as an adult, I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was enough adult material to make it appeal to all the older folks and enough fantasy that the young crowd will devour it. There's sexual tension/awareness normal to teenagers but enhanced due to the dire situations they face. There's tons of conflicts/decisions Morrigan has to make and the possibly of losing out on love.


Truly one of the best books I've ever read and I'm labeling myself a fan of this author.


Favorite quote: "We all create our own destinies with the choices we make. All we can do is try our best, learn from our past, and use that knowledge to grow wiser in the present."




1 comment: