Friday, February 22, 2013

Talking About Strong Women With Christie A.C. Gucker


Please welcome Christie...

My novel The Purple Heart focuses on a woman who was previously an army nurse turned psychologist who helps acclimate soldiers returning from war back to every day civilian life. I originally thought of writing her in her wartime role, but at the time I wrote the story, women were not allowed in combat positions. I am thrilled to know that they are now being offered the same opportunity as their male counterparts.

Women are strong. Women are brave. Yes, we are not backed by the same testosterone-filled-body that men are, but some of the strongest, toughest people I know are women.

Why is this? Maybe it’s because we have to fight for our place in this world to compete with men. Maybe it’s because we are mothers, and go through pregnancy and labor and childbirth. I’m not actually sure why, but I have to give props to the girls and women of our time and what they have to deal with to be seen as equals.

There are so many stereotypes thrown on us. Men can cheat and are seen as studs while women are branded whores if they are caught. Take poor Kristen Stewart, for instance. She has been shredded to pieces, bashed and bullied by tabloid magazines, for months now, for her alleged indiscretion, while her male counterpart; not a word about him. Yet through all of the lies and trashing of her character, she has remained a strong woman, holding her head up high, not letting the stories that disparage her, tear her down.

I strive to be that kind of woman. I thank my grandmother and mother for that. I watched them both as I grew up; they molded me into who I have become. I don’t back down, I never give up. I fight for what I believe in. I speak my mind. I demand respect. I urge all girls and women to live this way.

I am raising my daughters to be independent women, who can survive the toughest of times, remain strong, yet still be compassionate loving women.

Adele was recently told to lose weight. Why? She is beautiful as she is. No one needs to be what the media dictate. You are beautiful. You have to accept and love everything about yourself. Because you deserve it and no one has a right to tell you anything different.

It’s so amazing to me how a woman can one minute be an emotional, gentle being and in the blink of an eye, stand on her own two feet and fight harder than any man I know. Yes…you have that in you. You do. I promise you that.

So what is my point here? I want to empower you. I want to support you, my fellow sisters. Sometimes we need to band together to feel the strengths we contain within. Sometimes we need each other to draw that out. You have it inside you. I know you do, because I do. And the wonderful females I have around me have it. I can see it. Feel it.

The Purple HeartWe should do everything we can to mentor young girls and let them know that they are amazing and beautiful no matter what their body or face looks like.

I am so proud of every one of you. Be everything or anything you want to be. Stand up for yourself and other women around you.  Now get out there and show them what you’re made of!"

Christie's latest book is The Purple Heart:

When does hiding the truth become an outright lie?

As an Army psychologist, Sydney Porter has heard her share of horror stories. The battle-scarred, down-trodden, and guilt-ridden have come to her office, seeking her help. When a highly decorated soldier is referred to her, she feels confident she can help heal his wounds. The chemistry between herself and Sergeant Aiden Thane is instantaneous. Sparks ignite and against her friend’s advice, she opens both her home and her heart.

Torn between a voice of reason and her undeniable feelings, Sydney begins to question just what is hiding behind her lover’s decorated uniform. What secrets are hidden behind his Purple Heart?

And does she really want to know?




No comments:

Post a Comment