Sunday, August 11, 2013

A Dream Defiant by Susanna Fraser

A Dream DefiantI appreciate this story. I love reading about couples jumping over that silly color barrier, especially in historical times when it was so not accepted. Courage and love can overcome.

You have a former slave, now British army man trying to get his troops together after a harsh battle. When one of his men dies obtaining a necklace for his wife, Elijah not only delivers the bad new to the new widow, but also the necklace. This puts a price on a the lady's head and she marries Elijah to protect herself. It's just a wonderful coincidence that she happens to desire him anyway.

Together, they stand against those who dare to frown on their union. The sex is very tame and sweet--well done. I don't need all the nitty, gritty details. I like this author's style.

I liked the heroine: practical, smart, nice, nonjudgmental, and pursuing her dreams. The hero is understanding and likable, not the overdone alpha male.

The story is well-written, what I imagine an army camp to be in those days. I was transported to another time and place.

Matter of fact, my only quibble is that after the huge deal made of the necklace, I was expecting more drama about it, at least one more person to go after it at some point. I was left feeling like a scene was missing.

The story was surprisingly short, but it didn't feel rushed and I have no issue with the length. I was pleasantly surprised. I was able to read it nearly in one sitting. It's nice, however, to pick a book up and just get lost for a few hours and finish it. Some books nowadays don't seem to know when to end. LOL






No comments:

Post a Comment