Friday, August 2, 2013

A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison

A Walk Across the SunThis was an incredibly suspenseful read and a bit different from my usual fare. It follows a man mostly, one that I didn't like some of the time, but I was still hooked on the story as he goes from the U.S. to India to France searching for a sex-trafficked girl who lost her parents in the tsunami.


I found this eye-opening. I've know there was sex-trafficking, but all the people knowingly involved...how easy it is to get away with exploiting these girls...shocked me. It's not a pleasant read as we're subjected over and over to the nasty, disgusting sexual impulses of men. Can't they control themselves??? Really? Everyone was a horny bugger--even the hero himself. In his defense though, the women offered themselves. He isn't a rapist, just a very confused married man.

The narrative goes back and forth between the lawyer/hero, Thomas, and the two girls who have lost their parents and been sold into servitude against their will. Threats keep them compliant and every time one attempts escape, she ends up running right into the arms of bad people again. From one pimp to another, from drug trafficking to France to strip clubs in New York, one girl especially can't seem to catch a break.

This was really really suspenseful, like "can't put it down 'cause I have to know what happens next" suspenseful. It's also very well written. The side story with the guy's failing marriage, however--I could take it or leave it. It didn't do anything for me or feel necessary. I also found it frustrating that twice one of the girls escapes, only to run straight into another bad person...I mean, not a soul willing to help her? Is the world that horrible a place?

But I recommend this if you want a dose a reality, a look at India, an eye-opening and shocking account of the plight of young girls facing this lifestyle, and entertainment. It have everything but romance, really, which is fine with me. I found the India law especially interesting and surprising. It serves as a reminder just how good we have it in the States. Sometimes we need to be reminded.




No comments:

Post a Comment